Lindley Clock Tower, which is located on the corner of Lidget Street and Daisy Lea Lane, in Lindley, was previously owned by Kirklees Council, but is now leased to Lindley Community Group.
Subject to Covid restrictions allowing, this year the Tower will be open to the public once again as part of the Heritage Open Days, a heritage festival which takes place every year in September (date to be confirmed). Heritage Open Days celebrate England’s history, architecture and culture and allows visitors free access to historic properties. To complement this event, Lindley Library will also be hosting a display of information about other historic buildings in the area by the notable architect of the Tower, Edgar Wood.
The last open day saw hundreds of visitors climbing the 83ft tall tower, and the popularity of the event has encouraged the Community Group to continue to open it up to visitors on a regular basis.
There will be nominal charge of £1 for visitors, which will be used by the Community Group to cover the running costs, which includes insurance and utility bills.
Councillor Cahal Burke (Lib Dems, Lindley), who is Chairperson of Lindley Community Group, said:
“Many residents were unable to view the Clock Tower at the last Open Day event, because of the demand on the day, and restrictions in place due to the Covid pandemic have meant we have not been able to open the tower for over a year now.
The next Open Day will be an opportunity to build on the success and popularity previous years event.
I hope that more people will be able to visit and appreciate the tower, which is definitely one of Huddersfield’s most treasured landmarks.”
Lindley Community Group are seeking volunteers to assist with future Open Days. If you would like to be involved, please email to email@example.com – we would be delighted to hear from you!
Lindley Clock Tower Facts and Information
National Grid Reference:SE 11880 18051
Lindley Clock Tower is a Grade II listed building, first listed 12 September 1973, listing entry number 1215049.
Designed in the Art Nouveau style by architect Edgar Wood, Lindley Clock Tower was erected in 1902 by James Nield Sykes, a local mill owner.
The inscription over the door of the Clock Tower reads: “This tower was erected by James Nield Sykes Esq. J.P. of Field Head, Lindley, for the benefit of the inhabitants of his village in 1902.” The tower was designed by James Sykes’ nephew, Edgar Wood, one of the country’s leading architects and the numerous symbolic sculptures, executed in the finest stone, were by T. Stirling of London.
The figures on each of the corner buttresses represent the four virtues: Faith (east), Love (south), Purity (west) and Justice (north).
Portrayed on the frieze are the four seasons, with spring symbolized by almond blossom, summer by the rose, autumn by the apple and winter by holly.
The gargoyles represent “the beasts fleeing from the tower of time” and are described as The Lazy Dog, The Vicious Dog, The Cunning Dog and the Greedy Dog.
The clock was started by Miss Mary Alice Sykes, youngest daughter of James Nield Sykes, on 24th December 1902.
In 1970 the clock’s original mechanism, which had worn out, was replaced by the mechanism from the old market hall clock but unlike the original, this clock did not chime. Following a fundraising effort by the local community and with some funds from the council, new electric chimes where installed in 1971.